Anyone who has ever visited Hollywood can’t help but gaze at the star-shaped terrazzo tiles emblazoned with names both famous and barely remembered that line long stretches of Hollywood Blvd. and Vine Street. Wouldn’t it be cool then, to have a mobile database that put the ability to locate your favorite celebrity’s star, or discover what Walk of Fame stars are nearest your current location, all in the palm of your hand? Consider it done. Using a vast database stretching back 100 years, Hollywood’s hometown paper, the Los Angeles Times, has developed their Star Walk app that features encyclopedic coverage of Hollywood’s Walk of Fame. Featuring bios, photos and referencing nearby locations, the app essentially puts an expert guide on your iPhone, creating a dynamic way for locals and visitors alike to experience Hollywood’s most celebrated streets.
Other user-friendly features include detailed cross-referencing, such as connections between stars, and smart search functions that let you find stars by GPS, search or by browsing tags.
The Los Angeles Times Hollywood Star Walk App features include:
- Precise maps and photos of every single star on the Walk of Fame, identifiable by GPS or name/category search
- In depth bios and photo galleries of the over 2,000 star recipients culled from more than 100 years of LA Times coverage
- Stars grouped by category (film, TV, music, etc) who are also linked via “related” stars” (for instance, if you search Bud Abbot, you can quickly link to Lou Costello)
- Nearby points of interest that were/are significant to the star are highlighted if you want to dig deeper into Hollywood history
- Create your own custom tour of your favorite celebrities as well as a database that lets you find and view information on your top stars with a few taps.
- G4 users can also experience augmented reality of the Walk of the Fame, including the ability to see the blocks and stars layered directly on the screen.
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad. Requires iPhone OS 3.1.2 or later.